November 14, 2007

Tackling Poverty Should be a Priority for Canada

Last week, I saw that Stephane Dion released his plan on how to fight one of the greatest social problems we have here in Canada: poverty. I really think he ought to be commended for tackling this important issue and standing up on behalf of some of the most vulnerable Canadians.

His plan really focuses on those Canadians who are, regrettably, often overlooked by society and the government, particularly working class Canadians, seniors and children. I like that the plan is not aimed at handouts to the people but instead it helps make sure they aren't overlooked and we help them out of their dire situations.

I think it's especially shameful that in a country as rich as Canada, we have 3.4 million Canadians living in poverty, including 788,000 children (according to the CBC.ca story I read). Something must be done about this, and I strongly believe that Stephane Dion's leadership on this issue will really make a difference.

No comments: